Health

News

» » » Certified Gluten Free Makeup

Switching gears; let's talk about makeup.  When I was first diagnosed with Celiac, I just couldn't fathom that I really needed to buy gluten free makeup, shampoo, lotion etc.  I wasn't eating those things, how could they possibly be making me sick??  Well, as much as I hated to admit it, they were.

Shortly after I was diagnosed, I bought some expensive conditioner and didn't realize until I got it home that it contained hydrolyzed wheat protein.  I decided to use it anyway, thinking it wasn't going to matter.  My scalp flaked and ITCHED like crazy for a week.  I had been using salon products that were gluten free for years.  That's why I didn't have a flaky scalp anymore, I just thought I grew out of it.  Feeling dumb...

Fast forward how ever many weeks to another really rough week.  I was sick for three days, achy and tired, my eyes were watery, itchy, goopy and my vision was disturbed.  My vision is always effected when I've been glutened.  I could NOT figure out what I was eating.  By the third day I was SURE it wasn't something I was eating.  I realized that the day I got sick I had started using a new eye shadow.  Could it really be my eye shadow??  I looked up the ingredients and to my dismay, it had  wheat in it.  I threw it in the trash and guess what?  I wasn't sick anymore.   That was the end of products with gluten in them.  I was convinced.

Now to find a good gluten free makeup, which wasn't easy.  I started with Wet and Wild products as they are largely gluten free with the exception of a couple of their mascaras.  I used some Physician's Formula products, I'll be honest, those aren't my favorite.  Garnier makes good products and they are gluten free, I especially like their under eye concealer.

My very favorite find though was Xuxu Luxe by Gabriel Cosmetics.  Website 

This product rivals the finest department store products I've tried.  Their powder is so luxurious, you really don't need foundation.  I adore the lip glosses and eye shadows....I love everything I've tried and best of all, they are certified gluten free.

Available locally at Whole Foods and EarthFare.  I've also ordered from Amazon.com.

I would love to know what your favorite gluten free products are. 

«
Next
Newer Post
»
Previous
Older Post

No comments:

Leave a Reply